Be The Match Foundation
Be The Match connects patients with their donor match for a life-saving marrow or umbilical cord blood transplant. With a small percentage of participants fundraising and using online tools to raise money for the organization’s Run/Walk series, Be The Match partnered with Charity Dynamics to develop a three-year strategic plan for participant engagement and fundraising growth.
- Few participants were fundraising actively (99 percent were raising less than $100)
- Online tools were under-utilized by event participants (only 8 percent sending emails; only 27 percent were updating their personalized fundraising pages)
- Staffing limitations and lack of chapter-based structure hindered event growth
- A Charity Dynamics Consultant conducted comprehensive data analysis, which included a thorough review of business rules to better understand current business practices and supporting technology
- Completed a competitive analysis, stakeholder interviews, and benchmarking to obtain a 360-degree view of the event’s current situation
- Used findings to develop core recommendations, which included: reposition the event’s brand; upgrade technology; invest in staffing; expand the number of events offered in the series; and create a virtual fundraising platform
- Recommendations led to a complete rebranding of the program—from ‘Be the One Run’ to ‘Be The Match Walk+Run’—in an effort to make the event more inclusive of walkers, and ensure it was more closely aligned with the organization’s brand.
- Follow-on work led to a subsequent redesign, and redeployment of the TeamRaiser website, complete with new messaging in time for the 2013 event season.
- Created an Executive Task Force to build internal buy-in; assisted with a presentation to the organization’s Executive Board of Directors, outlining site expansion and related staffing plans.