Boundless Fundraising Case Study:
Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals' Extra Life
Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals raises funds for their partner network of children’s hospitals across North America, medical research and community awareness of children’s health issues. In 2008 they launched a new peer-to-peer fundraising program called Extra Life, a unique concept to help engage kids, raise awareness and raise funds to support their mission. Extra Life unites thousands of players around the world in a 24-hour fundraising and gaming marathon to support Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. Since its inception, Extra Life has raised more than $30 million for sick and injured kids. Given the digital savviness of their fundraisers, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals needed to incorporate mobile fundraising into their overall strategy, and in 2016 they added Boundless Fundraising Mobile and Facebook to engage participants where they were and increase their fundraising results.
- Extra Life participants were using a variety of desktop and mobile devices throughout the day. Participants wanted to be able to fundraise everywhere they spent their time online, whether on their mobile phone or computer.
- Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals knew its participants were mobile, but the organization wasn't tapping into that fundraising potential.
- Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals implemented the Boundless Fundraising Mobile app to enable participants to extend their fundraising via social networks, SMS and email. The app is fully integrated into the DonorDrive platform so participants have real-time integration for fundraising on the go. The mobile app was provided at no cost to participants who registered online for the event, as well as available in app stores.
- The Boundless Fundraising Facebook app was added to help participants broaden their fundraising to their social media network. Participants can send scheduled, automated fundraising messages, and manually trigger messages, to reach their fundraising goals more quickly.
- For 2017 Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals incorporated the full Boundless Fundraising suite, adding Tablet and Email Badge to create a broader toolkit for participants to achieve their fundraising goals.
“Given that our event is virtual in nature, we need to ensure we meet participants where they are and create a community where they can engage with Extra Life and perform their fundraising activities. Mobile is key to that strategy as our participants live in a digital world. By adopting the Boundless Fundraising suite, we are able to provide a platform of options for participants and allow them to engage with us, how and where they want to, making it easier for them to fundraise for Extra Life.”
Sr. Director, Extra Life & Digital Fundraising
Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals
- 16.5% of all participants adopted the Boundless Fundraising apps in 2016 and significantly outperformed their peers who didn’t use the apps.
- 9.1% of all online donations were sourced through Boundless Fundraising.
- Over $460,000 was raised through the Boundless Fundraising apps — 68% from the Facebook app and 32% from the Mobile App.
- On average, 70% of Boundless Fundraising donations are made from new donors.
- With the addition of the full Boundless Fundraising suite, 2017 numbers looked promising, with a year-over-year increase of money raised through the Boundless Fundraising apps forecasted to reach more than 10%.